Can My Employer Sponsor Me To Work in Canada?

If you’re considering working in Canada, you may wonder if your employer can sponsor you. The answer is yes, but there are a few things to remember. For starters, your employer must have a valid reason for sponsoring you. They’ll also need to meet certain criteria set by the Canadian government.

Once your employer has been approved to sponsor you, they’ll need to submit a formal application on your behalf. If everything goes well, you should receive your work permit within a few weeks.

Keep in mind that sponsorship is a lengthy and complicated process. It’s important to discuss your plans with your employer well in advance to make sure they’re on board and prepared to go through the process with you.

Move to Canada Through Express Entry APPLYNOW
Get a Job in Canada APPLYNOW
Study in Canada APPLYNOW
Get Canadian Scholarships APPLYNOW
Migrate To Canada APPLYNOW

Can My Employer Sponsor Me To Work in Canada?

An employer-sponsored program is a visa that is sponsored by an employer. Employers can sponsor one or more people for a range of different visas. These include the following:

1. Temporary Residence Visa (TRV)

This temporary work permit allows you to work in Canada for a specific period of time and for a specific employer. It’s usually valid for up to four years, but some exceptions exist. For example, your TRV may be valid for only one year if you come to Canada through the International Experience Canada (IEC) program or as a foreign affiliate investor.

2. Permanent Residence Visa (PRV)

This is an immigration document that allows you to live permanently in Canada with your family members and sponsor other people who want to live here permanently as well.

3. Investor Program

A Canadian investor program allows you to invest money in Canada in exchange for citizenship rights or permanent resident status (PR).

4. Business Entry Program

If you have experience running businesses, good management skills, and financial resources, you may qualify for entry into Canada through its business entry programs.

The Benefits of an Employer-Sponsored Program

The following are some of the benefits of an employer-sponsored program:

  1. You get a job offer before moving to Canada. This can be helpful if you’re unsure what you want to do or need time to think about your options before committing to a career.
  2. Your employer will help you with the work permit process, making it easier for both parties involved.
  3. As part of an employer-sponsored program, your employer will cover all costs related to your move, including airfare, medical exams, and travel insurance coverage.
  4. As part of an employer-sponsored program, you may be eligible for subsidized housing through your company’s housing program or relocation scheme; this can save thousands of dollars in rent payments over the course of a year or more!

Who is Eligible for an Employer-Sponsored Program?

An employer-sponsored program is available to foreign nationals who have been offered a full-time, permanent position with a Canadian company. The company must be unable to find a qualified Canadian citizen or permanent resident to fill the position. To be eligible, the foreign national must meet the following criteria:

  • Have a valid job offer from a Canadian company
  • The offered position must be full-time and permanent
  • The position must fall under one of Canada’s National Occupation Classification (NOC) categories
  • The foreign national must have the necessary qualifications and skills for the position
  • The foreign national must meet the minimum language requirements

How to Apply for an Employer-Sponsored Program

There are several employer-sponsored programs available for workers in Canada. The most common program is the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP).

To apply for this program, employers must first obtain a labor market impact assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). Once the LMIA has been approved, employers can submit an application to the Canadian government for a work permit on behalf of their employees.

The International Mobility Program (IMP) is another employer-sponsored program that is available for certain occupations. To qualify for this program, employers must obtain a positive labor market opinion (LMO) from ESDC. Once the LMO has been approved, employers can submit an application to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for a work permit on behalf of their employees.

The final employer-sponsored program is the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). This program allows employers to sponsor skilled workers for permanent residence in Canada. Each province and territory has its own PNP, so interested employers should contact their provincial or territorial government office to learn more about the requirements and application process.

What is the Difference Between a Work Permit and a Work Visa?


The sponsorship process by an employer in Canada can be lengthy and complicated, but it is definitely possible. If you have found an employer who is willing to sponsor you to work in Canada, they will need to go through the proper channels to make it happen.

The most important thing for you is to ensure that you are prepared with all the necessary paperwork and documentation. Once everything is in order, your employer can begin the sponsorship process, and hopefully, soon, you’ll be on your way to working in Canada.

Leave a Comment